Monday, May 05, 2008

And the comic book nerds rejoice

I am still wiped out from the party on Saturday. Apparently I am getting far too old to run on 3 hours of sleep.

The fella and I went to see Iron Man yesterday as I was hardly capable of doing much else.

After the recent disappointing comic book movies (I still refuse to accept that X-men 3 ever happened) I have to say I was a little worried about Iron Man. The movie was in development hell for years and had a spate of stars attached from Nicholas Cage (you can almost hear the collective shudder of all fanboys at the uttering of his name) to Clive Owen.

When Robert Downey Jr. was slated to fill the role of Tony Stark i think i peed my pants a little in excitement. I admit I was a pretty big Iron Man fan. I loved the technology and the baggage the hero carried around with him. I think Downey was born to play this role and the movie showed it. In fact it cemented my love for the actor (that blossomed in the excellent yet underrated Kiss Kiss Bang Bang).

He was of course totally perfect as the womanizing, charming, alcoholic Stark. The movie overall was really well done and even the perpetually awful Gweneth Paltrow wasn't able to fuck it up (see Sky Captain or any other Gweneth role for examples of her supreme suckage). I am totally looking forward to the sequel.

No comments: