Monday, January 19, 2009

I am going to give it a name and love it and take care of it...

I have a problem.

I personify things and establish emotional connections to irrelevant materials.

This ties into my being a packrat and OCD collector of random shit. Getting rid of my cd's was just the first real step in a proccess that is still ongoing.

No where is this problem more evident than in my clothes closets. Some people collect clothes for fashion and style reasons. I collect clothes because I can not bear to see them thrown out. I see them and I think about all the things we have been through and I think "how can i get rid of something that has done so much with me". It would be like kicking a trusty dog to the curb.

Rationally I understand that those shorts or that shirt are just fabric but emotionally they act as a trigger to fond memories. My favorite pair of boardshorts has a rip in them that makes them appropriate for only bear parties or preorgy type gettogethers. I have not been able to wear them in a year. Yet do I get rid of them?

No.

This weekend Greg and I put together a big closet organizer so that we would have room for some of his things. In that process we went through my clothes (i needed to go from 12 drawers to 6). I managed to get a garbage bag worth of stuff for goodwill and reach my 6 drawer goal. It was tough but I am getting better removing my need to rely on material goods. Greg looked at me like I was from mars a few times especially when i grabbed those board shorts from the trash pile.

One of my goals this year is to live simpler. I think this is a good way to start.

1 comment:

Greg said...

It's not THAT hard for me to understand... I actually have a lot of the same tendencies to keep things looooong past any actual need for them.

I think in my case it is more of a practical attachment than an emotional one... I put things away because I think I may be able to put them to use sometime; I just KNOW that if I throw something out today, I'm going to wind up needing it tomorrow. For me, it takes a conscious decision to look at the situation rationally and figure out that if I haven't needed those binders or that shirt since 1997, I'm probably not going to need them.

And then there are the things that I have to keep, just because. Again, not so much an emotional attachment to the object itself for me, but more to the memory that it brings up. And those things are the hardest of all to get rid of.