Thursday, February 19, 2009

The beast! it devours!

Facebook has been all over the blogs the last few days. This post on jimbo.info got me thinking. Jimbo was talking about how facebook is killing traditional blogging.

The more i thought about how facebook has changed what i do and how i exist online the more i realized how it has fundamentally changed how i deal with the people in my day to day life. It hasnt affected my blogging so much as my online chatting. I used to spend a lot of time chatting with my friends everynight. Now its much more sending a message here and there on facebook (and not using its super annoying chat system on facebook either). Instead of giving out my msn account i send people to my facebook.

Now i am sure there is much to be said about this putting further distance between myself and my online contacts but it seems to be working for me.

Blogging is more about spreading news and ideas (and the odd dirty pic). I think it serves a purpose that facebook never can. It is too shallow to really convey anything.

No comments: