Monday, September 14, 2009

Adventures In identity theft

So i got a call this morning from the bank saying there has been some suspicious activity on my debit card.

Turns out they drained out my entire chequing account and almost a third of my savings.

I luckily had enough left for my mortgage payment today.

I am always very careful of where my card is swiped and who is watching when i put in my pin. What I don't understand is why they won't tell me where the skim of my card occurred. Wouldn't it benefit them to not have to deal with these thefts by educating customers to avoid certain places?

1 comment:

Ian said...

I've had my card compromised and blocked by my bank about 6 times so far this year, I think it was someplace up in brampton, or pickering, as it hasn't happened again since the bf and I broke up. I asked them after the third time where it was that they were flagging it, and they told me that they couldn't tell me because the person doing the scam isn't necessarily the shop-owner, and if they released the locations those places would be 'unfairly discriminated against' (not an exact quote, but as close as I can remember)