Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Snow Leopard and a dead Server Admin

At my work we have two xserves running leopard server 10.5.8 . Overall they have been very easy to manage (however the 10.5.8 update did mess up one of the system's static IP addresses).

I have upgraded my office system to snow leopard. Of course with any upgrade there is bound to be trouble. Crossover (which is currently my favorite app) needs to be updated as it no longer runs.

Worst of all Server Admin was unable to access my xserves. Every time it connected you would get:
Server admin wants to use the "PrivateEncryptedDatak" keychain
Of course no matter what you enter as the password the password gets rejected and Server Admin can not connect to the xserve. Now there is very little about this message in relation to Snow leopard so I had to do some research. Apparently it related to Adobe AIR.

Now I have never had a reason to use adobe AIR and as far as i am concerned it is useless bloatware.

To fix this problem simply uninstall adobe AIR by going to utilities and selecting the handy uninstall app. Voila problem fixed and Server Admin is able to connect. Hope this saves some people some grief.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaron...
I have absolutely no idea what you just said.

It could have been writted in Canadian for all the sense it made to me :P

x x Petie

lelocolon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lelocolon said...

I am glad that you posted this because I am having lots of problem with my mac and I am thinking on upgrading my to snow leopard. However I hate upgrading system software. I basically use my baby for internet and for adobe photoshop and illustrator. The rest is like shit in their that I do not know what is all about. But I have gone through that experience and I am not looking forward to repeats. So perhaps taking my baby to apple is the best bet for me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the quick fix, I thought I would have to drive back to the office.

A.J. Potrebka said...

Aw, too bad I actually use Adobe AIR. TweetDeck (a popular Twitter client) is built with AIR. Too bad because it's really annoying, and I use Server Admin A LOT. There's gotta be another solution around...somewhere.

Thanks for the AIR tip!

A.J.
digginit.ca

Aaron said...

A.J. Thats really unfortunate as i really despise AIR it seems that most twitter apps are being built on it as well for some reason :(

Joel said...

Actually, you can just click on "Cancel" and Server Admin will continue without a care in the world....

dragos said...

You're the man Aaron! I Googled "Server admin wants to use the "PrivateEncryptedDatak" keychain" and your article was the first one to come up. At first I was reluctant to implement your solution as it seemed unrelated, but being short on options I uninstalled Adobe Air and viola, it worked like a charm!

Thanks

Ian said...

Thanks for posting the article - you saved me a shed load of time :o) I always thought Adobe Air was bloatware too - now I know it for sure!