Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Changing the game

The vacation to Mexico was really fantastic. I had a really great time with some old friends and made some great new ones. The wedding went off with only some minor issues related to the weather.

By the end of the 7 days i had become accustom to 24 hour non stop salsa, guacamole and ice cream. The button on my favorite pair of shorts felt differently about this however as it literally popped off in the phoenix airport on the way home.

Probably the best part of the trip was it allowed me to reboot and get back more to the person I used to be. The old friends (who I do not get to see often) were from a time when I was far more ambitious, hungry, innovative and was poised for some success. Talking to them about how things are currently was a real eye opener as to how much I have changed for the worse in the last 3 years. This job has really beaten a lot out of me and the rut it has helped me dig was so deep I had no idea I was in it.

The trip gave me a lot of time to think and I managed to come up with a really attractive side project that will really make use of all of my skills. I had a really good chat with the VP that I get along with yesterday and he has agreed to finance the project totally seperate from the company which is fantastic. I already did the first mock up for the product and I think things are going to go rather well with it. We also talked about both committed to this company for 8 more months with a pledge to both leave at the end of the year if things had not changed. All in all it was a very productive conversation.

For the first time in a long time I am not stressing out about the future.
Thank you Mexico...

2 comments:

Allan S. said...

Me likes, me likes. Always good to reboot and focus on thriving rather than just surviving.

Kyle said...

Aaron, sometimes you just need some fresh air to clear your head. Glad you are feeling energized and motivated for change.