Thursday, April 08, 2010

Not ugly at all

I have recently begun watching Ugly Betty again as it begins to wrap up its final season. I have never been a huge fan however i have always loved how LGBT positive the characters and storylines have been. They have never shied away from dealing with us not as minstrels like will and grace did but as real people.

The slow comming out of Justin Suarez (Mark Indelicato) has really been the highlight of the whole show for me. Mark as always been ultra fierce as Justin and last nights episode where he comes out to his family at his mother's wedding by dancing with his first boyfriend really tugged at the heartstrings.

I turned into a big old sloppy bottom while i was watching. Kudos to the writers and to ABC for putting such an amazing storyline on network television. I just think if I had something like this to look at when I was a baby gay it could have eliminated some of the self doubt and hatred I felt for being different.

Its amazing what a decade can do.

No comments: