Tuesday, June 01, 2010

End of an Era

Boots bar the location where I host the bear parties and have spent the majority of my gay adult life is closed as of today. It has been in slow decline for years now and with the passing of it's owner Jim in the spring marked the end of it.

Opened in 1979 it spent 31 years welcoming everyone through its doors. It was one of the oldest gay bars in western canada and saw a lot of history in those 31 years.

Hopefully something good will come out of this. I don't know where we are going to go now. I am calling an emergency cub meeting tonight to figure out what we are going to do.

2 comments:

Brian said...

This is sad indeed. Boots was the first gay bar I was ever at (January this year) I've been back several times since, and really appreciated the "pub" (as opposed to "club") atmosphere of the place. It wasn't the more lavish place, but my favorite times were just coming in when it was relatively quiet and being a part of the reparte and fellowship amongst other gay men. Gave me a real sense of belonging.

With the opening of places like Play and Flash (haven't been to either yet)..I guess this was inevitable. Woody's isn't a bad place but just doesn't have the same feel. Let's hope the void created will be filled someday soon. We need a relaxed, friendly place to meet and mingle !

turnipHed said...

Wow, Boots was the first ever gay establishment that i ever went into...lots of fond memories there...