Thursday, August 19, 2010

My hospital adventures - By the numbers



I have never been hospitalized before and never really needed to be. In fact I had never even been to an emergency room before monday night. The whole experience has been overwhelming so just so I have a record of it I thought I would do a run down of the last week by the numbers:
Me after the first 7 rounds of antibiotics and some pupil dilators. I can open my eye again and the swelling in my face has gone down a lot by this picture i still manage to make a good gay face for the camera.
  • 5:00 PM Sunday my eye starts to feel like it has something stuck in it
  • 9:30 AM Monday I see my first doc at the medicenter and he gets a worried look on his face and mentions that if things get any worse I need to go to emergency. Here I thought I had a mild case of pink eye.
  • 9:00 PM the fella and I arrive at emergency and I am admitted
  • 4 hours till I am seen by a nurse
  • 6 mentions by staff of how the budget cuts have increased wait times
  • 6 apologies by staff for said wait times and lack of beds
  • 1 number of cat scans I had
  • 1 bad reaction from the dye used in said cat scan. Apparently violent nausea and convulsions were left off the list of potential side effects of said dye because they are pretty rare lucky me.
  • 8 number of times I was called an atypical case
  • 1 pair of super hot shoes my first nurse Stephanie was wearing she was awesome.
  • 4 number of emergency room doctors I was seen by through the course of the night
  • 4 ft by 6 ft is the amount of space they squeezed my bed into in the nurses station because they had no room for me anywhere else.
  • 7 fantastic emergency nurses who made a very scary experience much easier. The gals and guy in the e unit were really awesome and I can not thank them enough.
  • 6 Infectious Disease Docs that saw me. Each time one would leave they would come back with one more. Because of the rapid onset of things and the fact that whatever it was was spreading throughout my other eye, sinuses and face they were worried that I would not only lose my eyesight but there was a chance it could spread throughout my whole body. I basically became the ward of the ID unit (everyone calls it ID because Infectious Diseases Sounds scary).
  • 4 number of ophthalmologists I had to see. These guys were the worst they did terrible things to my eyes and I never want another thing poked in my eye again.
  • 9 Different antibiotics they had me on.
  • 7 different blood samples
  • 4 swabs
  • 13 times I was told i was very lucky that I came in when I did
  • 43 the number of things I realized I would not be able to do without my eyesight while I was sitting in the waiting room. This biggest of which was I wouldn't be able to see Greg anymore. We had been separated as there was no room for him in the secondary waiting room they put me in. I was so worried that the last thing I was going to see was going to be something other than him.
  • 8 number of hot emt/emr guys walking around
  • 1 number of hot cops I saw
  • 0 number of hot docs I saw (tho my one doc would be hot if he grew a beard :P)
  • 6 wristbands with my medical information on them from the different hospitals and departments
  • 2 number of hospitals I was admitted to.
  • 15 bags of intravenous meds that were pumped into me
  • 1:05 PM Thursday officially discharged from the U of A outpatient unit

My Zombie Eye this is Wednesday and you can I can open my almost fully again but there are still lots of popped blood vessels.

All said and done I have a much greater appreciation for the hard working people at our medical facilities. These people work there asses off and every cut to medical services makes a near impossible job they do every day that much harder. I can not thank them enough for the help they gave me.

I also have a greater appreciation for my health. I take a lot for granted and it is amazing how quickly you can go from thinking you have an eyelash in your eye to worrying about loosing your vision. Go out and enjoy your bodies folks who knows how long they will last.

Most importantly I have a greater appreciation of my relationship with Greg. He has been so good to me the last week I don't even have words for the amount of support and nursing he has done. I love you lots fella!


3 comments:

Reneé said...

Holy crap, dude! I'm glad things are on the mend. Your face was swollen like my baby kitty's last week after he got bitten by a spider.

Allan S. said...

Wow! What a bizarre experience. I'm sending you healing vibes.

Greg said...

"I was so worried that the last thing I was going to see was going to be something other than him."

OK, so you just made me tear up. Luckily, not because of a gross gooey eye infection... :o) Love you too, mister!!