Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Suzie homemaker not so much

Last night watching the election results come in was super stressful so I decided to occupy myself by making nanaimo bars for the first time.   For a no-bake recipe it was a lot of fucking work.

It all would have been fine if only I didn't have to melt chocolate.  You see I am physically incapable of making melted chocolate that doesn't turn instantly into fudge (called seizing).  This has happened every time i have attempted to do this including some disastrous attempts at fondu last valentines day.  I tried 4 times last night.  Each time I ended up with a total mess.   I even  tried the microwave.  What kills me is this is what the recipe says:

In a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter. Spread the melted chocolate evenly over the filling and refrigerate until the chocolate has set.
Looks pretty simple doesn't it?
What they really mean is this:
The most important thing you can do to prevent chocolate from seizing is to eliminate any chance of the chocolate coming into contact with water. Always make sure the bowls and utensils you are using are perfectly dry. Avoid using wooden spoons or boards, as they might retain moisture and impart this moisture to your chocolate. If you are using a double boiler to melt your chocolate, keep the water hot but not boiling, or turn off the heat before the chocolate is placed on top. Boiling water might splash above the rim of the saucepan and cause droplets to fall in the chocolate. In addition, boiling water gives off a great deal of steam, and steam can also cause chocolate to seize. Be sure to wipe the bottom of the bowl the chocolate is melting in on a regular basis, to remove water and condensation. Finally, never cover warm chocolate with a lid, as the heat of the chocolate might form condensation on the inside of the bowl, which will cause the chocolate to seize. 
So now i have nanaimo bars that are covered in a lumpy layer of fudgy lumpy chocolate. I am going to need a hacksaw to cut through them.

I think I am going to stick to Tacos..

1 comment:

Scooter said...

hmm .... i've never had that problem - lol