Friday, November 05, 2010

This worries me (said in the style of Tim Gunn)

Apple has decided to discontinue the Xserve rack mounted server as of next year.  This is pretty heartbreaking for me as I have spent the last year and a half learning how to administer osx servers.  A ton of time and a lot of my companies money was spent investing in these things.

I am worried that when 10.7 comes out next summer there wont even be a server version.

Now i understand that business is not Apple's main client segment but there are a ton of small and large businesses that have significantly invested in the platform.  I have no idea what our alternative would be.  We chose the mac specifically because it was so user friendly and had GUI that allowed you to manage most everything from VPN to mail service.  

I can only hope that the mac mini server was such success that apple could not justify the rack mounted system and that they will continue to invest in osx server for 10.7.

No comments: